It's important to know how and when to get tested for COVID-19. Testing can give you peace of mind, provide you with information you need to make decisions about your health and help slow the spread of the virus in our community.
Getting test is a good idea if you have COVID-19 symptoms or if you've been exposed to someone with the virus.
Getting Tested in Contra Costa County
COVID-19 tests are available at commercial sites, healthcare providers and county health centers. People with health insurance should go to their healthcare provider or a commercial testing site. People without insurance can walk into the county health centers for COVID-19 services, go to a no-cost testing site or go to a community-based testing site, such as those hosted by La Clinica.
County Health Centers
- People without insurance can walk into any county health center for COVID-19 services.
- People with CCHP/Medi-Cal/Medicare can schedule through MyChart or by calling 800-495-8885.
Home tests, also known as rapid antigen tests, can be bought at a pharmacy or online. Home tests are good at detecting active infections when someone has COVID-19 symptoms and are a great and convenient way to find out if you're infected.
There are several brands currently approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for emergency use. You should not use a home test that is not approved by the FDA.
- Contra Costa residents can order free at-home COVID-19 test kits from CCH for the holidays and winter season by filling out this online form.
- People with private, employer-sponsored and student health commercial health insurance can request reimbursement for over-the-counter COVID-19 diagnostic tests purchased on or after January 15, 2022. The cost of home testing for COVID-19 is an eligible medical expense that can be paid or reimbursed under health flexible spending arrangements (health FSAs), health savings accounts (HSAs), health reimbursement arrangements (HRAs), or Archer medical savings accounts (Archer MSAs).
- Kaiser Permanente members can order COVID-19 home antigen tests online or at Kaiser Permanente pharmacies at no cost.
- Each Medi-Cal beneficiary can now go to a Medi-Cal Rx pharmacy, show their Medi-Cal Benefits ID Card and have up to 8 over-the-counter COVID-19 diagnostic tests covered each month. If you have Medi-Cal and purchased over-the-counter COVID-19 diagnostic tests between March 11, 2021, and January 31, 2022, call the Department of Healthcare Services at 916-403-2007 for more information about getting reimbursed.
- Contra Costa Regional Medical Center & Health Centers patients: free home tests are available upon request when checking in for appointments at registration.
- Contra Costa County Library locations