Getting Bed Bugs Identified
If you believe you have bed bugs and you have a sample that you would like identified, bring it (see below for how to safely transport the sample) to the following locations:
- Contra Costa Mosquito and Vector Control District
155 Mason Circle
Concord, CA 94520-4807
Monday – Friday 8am–4:30pm
- Contra Costa County Department of Agriculture / Weights and Measures
2380 Bisso Lane
Concord, CA 94520
Monday – Friday 8am–5pm
DO NOT transport live bed bugs because that could spread an infestation!
There are several ways to prepare your sample for transport.
- Saturate a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol, pick up the insect with the cotton ball and place it in a plastic bag. Seal the bag.
- Pick up the bug with a pair of tweezers and drop it into a small container that has a tight-fitting, screw-on lid with a rubber gasket. Cover the specimen(s) with rubbing alcohol and screw the lid on tightly.
- Pick up the bug using scotch tape and then tape it to a piece of paper.
Collect several bugs if you can. And be careful not to crush the bugs. It is very hard to identify a crushed bug.